Sunday, January 25, 2015

Food for an upset tummy

I had a nasty stomach bug last week.  After a few days of saltines and the BRAT diet, I wanted a little more variety but knew my stomach couldn't handle much.

I recalled that Kichiri is frequently consumed as part of ayurvedic cleanses because it is very easy to digest.  I found a simple Kichiri recipe and whipped it up.  First of all, I found that you have to be sure to buy split moong beans that are shelled.  I bought the ones with shells on, and the shells tend to come off during cooking and float around.  Be sure to buy the yellow ones at the grocery store that have been shelled (the beans have green shells).  In the first batch, I tried it with ghee.  It was very buttery.  The second time, I tried it with sesame oil and I preferred the taste.  I'd also recommending cutting the oil/ghee in half and doubling the spices.  In addition to the cumin and turmeric, I also added coriander and ginger root.  Cecyl loves it too!  And he adds cashews to it...

Breakfast poses a conundrum when you have stomach issues - what to eat when you wake up with an upset tummy?  I'd recalled seeing "morning miso" at Kripalu so thought that might be a nice way to start the day.  I just bought some miso paste from Whole Foods and created a little "miso kit" to take to work for breakfast.  I put a few scoops of miso, some cubes of tofu, and a handful of spinach in a tupperware container.  When I felt up to eating, I put the miso, tofu, and spinach in a mug, poured in some water, and stirred it up - and voila, miso soup!  I bought some wakame and spring onion yesterday, so I'll try adding those this week.

I had a great lunch at Douzo this week that involved delicious and tummy-soothing vegetable Udon noodle soup.  Oh those yummy chewy noodles!  On Friday, I decided I'd figure out how to make my own Udon noodle soup.  I took my first (and last) trip to C-mart, the Chinese grocery store a block away from Whole Foods.  I braved my way through the fish smell to find rows upon rows of noodles, seaweed, sesame oil, and tofu.  I'd browsed lots of different Udon recipes and decided I'd make one with a bunch of different vegetables.  The fresh noodles I got from the grocery store were very yummy.  For vegetables, I added snow peas, watercress, mushrooms, bean sprouts, carrots, wakame, and tofu.  I kinda overcooked the vegetables, so would recommend chopping them all in advance and only cooking them for 5 minutes.  The noodles were fresh and seemed cooked already, so only needed a few minutes.  I used miso paste as a base and added in some soy sauce as well.  Turns out, wakame has a very intense flavor, so you probably only want a pinch (I used too much).

No comments:

Post a Comment